The Tempest

By

William Shakespeare

CONTENTS:

ACT I 3

SCENE I. On a ship at sea: a tempestuous noise of thunder and lightning heard. 3

SCENE II. The island. Before PROSPERO'S cell. 7

ACT II 30

SCENE I. Another part of the island. 30

SCENE II. Another part of the island. 49

ACT III 57

SCENE I. Before PROSPERO'S Cell. 57

SCENE II. Another part of the island. 62

SCENE III. Another part of the island. 70

ACT IV.. 76

SCENE I. Before PROSPERO'S cell. 76

ACT V.. 89

SCENE I. Before PROSPERO'S cell. 89

ACT I

SCENE I. On a ship at sea: a tempestuous noise of thunder and lightning heard.

    Enter a Master and a Boatswain

Master

    Boatswain!

Boatswain

    Here, master: what cheer?

Master

    Good, speak to the mariners: fall to't, yarely,

    or we run ourselves aground: bestir, bestir.

    Exit

    Enter Mariners

Boatswain

    Heigh, my hearts! cheerly, cheerly, my hearts!

    yare, yare! Take in the topsail. Tend to the

    master's whistle. Blow, till thou burst thy wind,

    if room enough!

    Enter ALONSO, SEBASTIAN, ANTONIO, FERDINAND, GONZALO, and others

ALONSO

    Good boatswain, have care. Where's the master?

    Play the men.

Boatswain

    I pray now, keep below.

ANTONIO

    Where is the master, boatswain?

Boatswain

    Do you not hear him? You mar our labour: keep your

    cabins: you do assist the storm.

GONZALO

    Nay, good, be patient.

Boatswain

    When the sea is. Hence! What cares these roarers

    for the name of king? To cabin: silence! trouble us not.

GONZALO

    Good, yet remember whom thou hast aboard.

Boatswain

    None that I more love than myself. You are a

    counsellor; if you can command these elements to

    silence, and work the peace of the present, we will

    not hand a rope more; use your authority: if you

    cannot, give thanks you have lived so long, and make

    yourself ready in your cabin for the mischance of

    the hour, if it so hap. Cheerly, good hearts! Out

    of our way, I say.

    Exit

GONZALO

    I have great comfort from this fellow: methinks he

    hath no drowning mark upon him; his complexion is

    perfect gallows. Stand fast, good Fate, to his

    hanging: make the rope of his destiny our cable,

    for our own doth little advantage. If he be not

    born to be hanged, our case is miserable.

    Exeunt

    Re-enter Boatswain

Boatswain

    Down with the topmast! yare! lower, lower! Bring

    her to try with main-course.

    A cry within

    A plague upon this howling! they are louder than

    the weather or our office.

    Re-enter SEBASTIAN, ANTONIO, and GONZALO

    Yet again! what do you here? Shall we give o'er

    and drown? Have you a mind to sink?

SEBASTIAN

    A pox o' your throat, you bawling, blasphemous,

    incharitable dog!

Boatswain

    Work you then.

ANTONIO

    Hang, cur! hang, you whoreson, insolent noisemaker!

    We are less afraid to be drowned than thou art.

GONZALO

    I'll warrant him for drowning; though the ship were

    no stronger than a nutshell and as leaky as an

    unstanched wench.

Boatswain

    Lay her a-hold, a-hold! set her two courses off to

    sea again; lay her off.

    Enter Mariners wet

Mariners

    All lost! to prayers, to prayers! all lost!

Boatswain

    What, must our mouths be cold?

GONZALO

    The king and prince at prayers! let's assist them,

    For our case is as theirs.

SEBASTIAN

    I'm out of patience.

ANTONIO

    We are merely cheated of our lives by drunkards:

    This wide-chapp'd rascal--would thou mightst lie drowning

    The washing of ten tides!

GONZALO

    He'll be hang'd yet,

    Though every drop of water swear against it

    And gape at widest to glut him.

    A confused noise within: 'Mercy on us!'-- 'We split, we split!'--'Farewell, my wife and children!'-- 'Farewell, brother!'--'We split, we split, we split!'

ANTONIO

    Let's all sink with the king.

SEBASTIAN

    Let's take leave of him.

    Exeunt ANTONIO and SEBASTIAN

GONZALO

    Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an

    acre of barren ground, long heath, brown furze, any

    thing. The wills above be done! but I would fain

    die a dry death.

    Exeunt

SCENE II. The island. Before PROSPERO'S cell.

    Enter PROSPERO and MIRANDA

MIRANDA

    If by your art, my dearest father, you have

    Put the wild waters in this roar, allay them.

    The sky, it seems, would pour down stinking pitch,

    But that the sea, mounting to the welkin's cheek,

    Dashes the fire out. O, I have suffered

    With those that I saw suffer: a brave vessel,

    Who had, no doubt, some noble creature in her,

    Dash'd all to pieces. O, the cry did knock

    Against my very heart. Poor souls, they perish'd.

    Had I been any god of power, I would

    Have sunk the sea within the earth or ere

    It should the good ship so have swallow'd and

    The fraughting souls within her.

PROSPERO

    Be collected:

    No more amazement: tell your piteous heart

    There's no harm done.

MIRANDA

    O, woe the day!

PROSPERO

    No harm.

    I have done nothing but in care of thee,

    Of thee, my dear one, thee, my daughter, who

    Art ignorant of what thou art, nought knowing

    Of whence I am, nor that I am more better

    Than Prospero, master of a full poor cell,

    And thy no greater father.

MIRANDA

    More to know

    Did never meddle with my thoughts.

PROSPERO

    'Tis time

    I should inform thee farther. Lend thy hand,

    And pluck my magic garment from me. So:

    Lays down his mantle

    Lie there, my art. Wipe thou thine eyes; have comfort.

    The direful spectacle of the wreck, which touch'd

    The very virtue of compassion in thee,

    I have with such provision in mine art

    So safely ordered that there is no soul--

    No, not so much perdition as an hair

    Betid to any creature in the vessel

    Which thou heard'st cry, which thou saw'st sink. Sit down;

    For thou must now know farther.

MIRANDA

    You have often

    Begun to tell me what I am, but stopp'd

    And left me to a bootless inquisition,

    Concluding 'Stay: not yet.'

PROSPERO

    The hour's now come;

    The very minute bids thee ope thine ear;

    Obey and be attentive. Canst thou remember

    A time before we came unto this cell?

    I do not think thou canst, for then thou wast not

    Out three years old.

MIRANDA

    Certainly, sir, I can.

PROSPERO

    By what? by any other house or person?

    Of any thing the image tell me that

    Hath kept with thy remembrance.

MIRANDA

    'Tis far off

    And rather like a dream than an assurance

    That my remembrance warrants. Had I not

    Four or five women once that tended me?

PROSPERO

    Thou hadst, and more, Miranda. But how is it

    That this lives in thy mind? What seest thou else

    In the dark backward and abysm of time?

    If thou remember'st aught ere thou camest here,

    How thou camest here thou mayst.

MIRANDA

    But that I do not.

PROSPERO

    Twelve year since, Miranda, twelve year since,

    Thy father was the Duke of Milan and

    A prince of power.

MIRANDA

    Sir, are not you my father?

PROSPERO

    Thy mother was a piece of virtue, and

    She said thou wast my daughter; and thy father

    Was Duke of Milan; and thou his only heir

    And princess no worse issued.

MIRANDA

    O the heavens!

    What foul play had we, that we came from thence?

    Or blessed was't we did?

PROSPERO

    Both, both, my girl:

    By foul play, as thou say'st, were we heaved thence,

    But blessedly holp hither.

MIRANDA

    O, my heart bleeds

    To think o' the teen that I have turn'd you to,

    Which is from my remembrance! Please you, farther.

PROSPERO

    My brother and thy uncle, call'd Antonio--

    I pray thee, mark me--that a brother should

    Be so perfidious!--he whom next thyself

    Of all the world I loved and to him put

    The manage of my state; as at that time

    Through all the signories it was the first

    And Prospero the prime duke, being so reputed

    In dignity, and for the liberal arts

    Without a parallel; those being all my study,

    The government I cast upon my brother

    And to my state grew stranger, being transported

    And rapt in secret studies. Thy false uncle--

    Dost thou attend me?

MIRANDA

    Sir, most heedfully.

PROSPERO

    Being once perfected how to grant suits,

    How to deny them, who to advance and who

    To trash for over-topping, new created

    The creatures that were mine, I say, or changed 'em,

    Or else new form'd 'em; having both the key

    Of officer and office, set all hearts i' the state

    To what tune pleased his ear; that now he was

    The ivy which had hid my princely trunk,

    And suck'd my verdure out on't. Thou attend'st not.

MIRANDA

    O, good sir, I do.

PROSPERO

    I pray thee, mark me.

    I, thus neglecting worldly ends, all dedicated

    To closeness and the bettering of my mind

    With that which, but by being so retired,

    O'er-prized all popular rate, in my false brother

    Awaked an evil nature; and my trust,

    Like a good parent, did beget of him

    A falsehood in its contrary as great

    As my trust was; which had indeed no limit,

    A confidence sans bound. He being thus lorded,

    Not only with what my revenue yielded,

    But what my power might else exact, like one

    Who having into truth, by telling of it,

    Made such a sinner of his memory,

    To credit his own lie, he did believe

    He was indeed the duke; out o' the substitution

    And executing the outward face of royalty,

    With all prerogative: hence his ambition growing--

    Dost thou hear?

MIRANDA

    Your tale, sir, would cure deafness.

PROSPERO

    To have no screen between this part he play'd

    And him he play'd it for, he needs will be

    Absolute Milan. Me, poor man, my library

    Was dukedom large enough: of temporal royalties

    He thinks me now incapable; confederates--

    So dry he was for sway--wi' the King of Naples

    To give him annual tribute, do him homage,

    Subject his coronet to his crown and bend

    The dukedom yet unbow'd--alas, poor Milan!--

    To most ignoble stooping.

MIRANDA

    O the heavens!

PROSPERO

    Mark his condition and the event; then tell me

    If this might be a brother.

MIRANDA

    I should sin

    To think but nobly of my grandmother:

    Good wombs have borne bad sons.

PROSPERO

    Now the condition.

    The King of Naples, being an enemy

    To me inveterate, hearkens my brother's suit;

    Which was, that he, in lieu o' the premises

    Of homage and I know not how much tribute,

    Should presently extirpate me and mine

    Out of the dukedom and confer fair Milan

    With all the honours on my brother: whereon,

    A treacherous army levied, one midnight

    Fated to the purpose did Antonio open

    The gates of Milan, and, i' the dead of darkness,

    The ministers for the purpose hurried thence

    Me and thy crying self.

MIRANDA

    Alack, for pity!

    I, not remembering how I cried out then,

    Will cry it o'er again: it is a hint

    That wrings mine eyes to't.

PROSPERO

    Hear a little further

    And then I'll bring thee to the present business

    Which now's upon's; without the which this story

    Were most impertinent.

MIRANDA

    Wherefore did they not

    That hour destroy us?

PROSPERO

    Well demanded, wench:

    My tale provokes that question. Dear, they durst not,

    So dear the love my people bore me, nor set

    A mark so bloody on the business, but

    With colours fairer painted their foul ends.

    In few, they hurried us aboard a bark,

    Bore us some leagues to sea; where they prepared

    A rotten carcass of a boat, not rigg'd,

    Nor tackle, sail, nor mast; the very rats

    Instinctively had quit it: there they hoist us,

    To cry to the sea that roar'd to us, to sigh

    To the winds whose pity, sighing back again,

    Did us but loving wrong.

MIRANDA

    Alack, what trouble

    Was I then to you!

PROSPERO

    O, a cherubim

    Thou wast that did preserve me. Thou didst smile.

    Infused with a fortitude from heaven,

    When I have deck'd the sea with drops full salt,

    Under my burthen groan'd; which raised in me

    An undergoing stomach, to bear up

    Against what should ensue.

MIRANDA

    How came we ashore?

PROSPERO

    By Providence divine.

    Some food we had and some fresh water that

    A noble Neapolitan, Gonzalo,

    Out of his charity, being then appointed

    Master of this design, did give us, with

    Rich garments, linens, stuffs and necessaries,

    Which since have steaded much; so, of his gentleness,

    Knowing I loved my books, he furnish'd me

    From mine own library with volumes that

    I prize above my dukedom.

MIRANDA

    Would I might

    But ever see that man!

PROSPERO

    Now I arise:

    Resumes his mantle

    Sit still, and hear the last of our sea-sorrow.

    Here in this island we arrived; and here

    Have I, thy schoolmaster, made thee more profit

    Than other princesses can that have more time

    For vainer hours and tutors not so careful.

MIRANDA

    Heavens thank you for't! And now, I pray you, sir,

    For still 'tis beating in my mind, your reason

    For raising this sea-storm?

PROSPERO

    Know thus far forth.

    By accident most strange, bountiful Fortune,

    Now my dear lady, hath mine enemies

    Brought to this shore; and by my prescience

    I find my zenith doth depend upon

    A most auspicious star, whose influence

    If now I court not but omit, my fortunes

    Will ever after droop. Here cease more questions:

    Thou art inclined to sleep; 'tis a good dulness,

    And give it way: I know thou canst not choose.

    MIRANDA sleeps

    Come away, servant, come. I am ready now.

    Approach, my Ariel, come.

    Enter ARIEL

ARIEL

    All hail, great master! grave sir, hail! I come

    To answer thy best pleasure; be't to fly,

    To swim, to dive into the fire, to ride

    On the curl'd clouds, to thy strong bidding task

    Ariel and all his quality.

PROSPERO

    Hast thou, spirit,

    Perform'd to point the tempest that I bade thee?

ARIEL

    To every article.

    I boarded the king's ship; now on the beak,

    Now in the waist, the deck, in every cabin,

    I flamed amazement: sometime I'ld divide,

    And burn in many places; on the topmast,

    The yards and bowsprit, would I flame distinctly,

    Then meet and join. Jove's lightnings, the precursors

    O' the dreadful thunder-claps, more momentary

    And sight-outrunning were not; the fire and cracks

    Of sulphurous roaring the most mighty Neptune

    Seem to besiege and make his bold waves tremble,

    Yea, his dread trident shake.

PROSPERO

    My brave spirit!

    Who was so firm, so constant, that this coil

    Would not infect his reason?

ARIEL

    Not a soul

    But felt a fever of the mad and play'd

    Some tricks of desperation. All but mariners

    Plunged in the foaming brine and quit the vessel,

    Then all afire with me: the king's son, Ferdinand,

    With hair up-staring,--then like reeds, not hair,--

    Was the first man that leap'd; cried, 'Hell is empty

    And all the devils are here.'

PROSPERO

    Why that's my spirit!

    But was not this nigh shore?

ARIEL

    Close by, my master.

PROSPERO

    But are they, Ariel, safe?

ARIEL

    Not a hair perish'd;

    On their sustaining garments not a blemish,

    But fresher than before: and, as thou badest me,

    In troops I have dispersed them 'bout the isle.

    The king's son have I landed by himself;

    Whom I left cooling of the air with sighs

    In an odd angle of the isle and sitting,

    His arms in this sad knot.

PROSPERO

    Of the king's ship

    The mariners say how thou hast disposed

    And all the rest o' the fleet.

ARIEL

    Safely in harbour

    Is the king's ship; in the deep nook, where once

    Thou call'dst me up at midnight to fetch dew

    From the still-vex'd Bermoothes, there she's hid:

    The mariners all under hatches stow'd;

    Who, with a charm join'd to their suffer'd labour,

    I have left asleep; and for the rest o' the fleet

    Which I dispersed, they all have met again

    And are upon the Mediterranean flote,

    Bound sadly home for Naples,

    Supposing that they saw the king's ship wreck'd

    And his great person perish.

PROSPERO

    Ariel, thy charge

    Exactly is perform'd: but there's more work.

    What is the time o' the day?

ARIEL

    Past the mid season.

PROSPERO

    At least two glasses. The time 'twixt six and now

    Must by us both be spent most preciously.

ARIEL

    Is there more toil? Since thou dost give me pains,

    Let me remember thee what thou hast promised,

    Which is not yet perform'd me.

PROSPERO

    How now? moody?

    What is't thou canst demand?

ARIEL

    My liberty.

PROSPERO

    Before the time be out? no more!

ARIEL

    I prithee,

    Remember I have done thee worthy service;

    Told thee no lies, made thee no mistakings, served

    Without or grudge or grumblings: thou didst promise

    To bate me a full year.

PROSPERO

    Dost thou forget

    From what a torment I did free thee?

ARIEL

    No.

PROSPERO

    Thou dost, and think'st it much to tread the ooze

    Of the salt deep,

    To run upon the sharp wind of the north,

    To do me business in the veins o' the earth

    When it is baked with frost.

ARIEL

    I do not, sir.

PROSPERO

    Thou liest, malignant thing! Hast thou forgot

    The foul witch Sycorax, who with age and envy

    Was grown into a hoop? hast thou forgot her?

ARIEL

    No, sir.

PROSPERO

    Thou hast. Where was she born? speak; tell me.

ARIEL

    Sir, in Argier.

PROSPERO

    O, was she so? I must

    Once in a month recount what thou hast been,

    Which thou forget'st. This damn'd witch Sycorax,

    For mischiefs manifold and sorceries terrible

    To enter human hearing, from Argier,

    Thou know'st, was banish'd: for one thing she did

    They would not take her life. Is not this true?

ARIEL

    Ay, sir.

PROSPERO

    This blue-eyed hag was hither brought with child

    And here was left by the sailors. Thou, my slave,

    As thou report'st thyself, wast then her servant;

    And, for thou wast a spirit too delicate

    To act her earthy and abhorr'd commands,

    Refusing her grand hests, she did confine thee,

    By help of her more potent ministers

    And in her most unmitigable rage,

    Into a cloven pine; within which rift

    Imprison'd thou didst painfully remain

    A dozen years; within which space she died

    And left thee there; where thou didst vent thy groans

    As fast as mill-wheels strike. Then was this island--

    Save for the son that she did litter here,

    A freckled whelp hag-born--not honour'd with

    A human shape.

ARIEL

    Yes, Caliban her son.

PROSPERO

    Dull thing, I say so; he, that Caliban

    Whom now I keep in service. Thou best know'st

    What torment I did find thee in; thy groans

    Did make wolves howl and penetrate the breasts

    Of ever angry bears: it was a torment

    To lay upon the damn'd, which Sycorax

    Could not again undo: it was mine art,

    When I arrived and heard thee, that made gape

    The pine and let thee out.

ARIEL

    I thank thee, master.

PROSPERO

    If thou more murmur'st, I will rend an oak

    And peg thee in his knotty entrails till

    Thou hast howl'd away twelve winters.

ARIEL

    Pardon, master;

    I will be correspondent to command

    And do my spiriting gently.

PROSPERO

    Do so, and after two days

    I will discharge thee.

ARIEL

    That's my noble master!

    What shall I do? say what; what shall I do?

PROSPERO

    Go make thyself like a nymph o' the sea: be subject

    To no sight but thine and mine, invisible

    To every eyeball else. Go take this shape

    And hither come in't: go, hence with diligence!

    Exit ARIEL

    Awake, dear heart, awake! thou hast slept well; Awake!

MIRANDA

    The strangeness of your story put

    Heaviness in me.

PROSPERO

    Shake it off. Come on;

    We'll visit Caliban my slave, who never

    Yields us kind answer.

MIRANDA

    'Tis a villain, sir,

    I do not love to look on.

PROSPERO

    But, as 'tis,

    We cannot miss him: he does make our fire,

    Fetch in our wood and serves in offices

    That profit us. What, ho! slave! Caliban!

    Thou earth, thou! speak.

CALIBAN

    [Within] There's wood enough within.

PROSPERO

    Come forth, I say! there's other business for thee:

    Come, thou tortoise! when?

    Re-enter ARIEL like a water-nymph

    Fine apparition! My quaint Ariel,

    Hark in thine ear.

ARIEL

    My lord it shall be done.

    Exit

PROSPERO

    Thou poisonous slave, got by the devil himself

    Upon thy wicked dam, come forth!

    Enter CALIBAN

CALIBAN

    As wicked dew as e'er my mother brush'd

    With raven's feather from unwholesome fen

    Drop on you both! a south-west blow on ye

    And blister you all o'er!

PROSPERO

    For this, be sure, to-night thou shalt have cramps,

    Side-stitches that shall pen thy breath up; urchins

    Shall, for that vast of night that they may work,

    All exercise on thee; thou shalt be pinch'd

    As thick as honeycomb, each pinch more stinging

    Than bees that made 'em.

CALIBAN

    I must eat my dinner.

    This island's mine, by Sycorax my mother,

    Which thou takest from me. When thou camest first,

    Thou strokedst me and madest much of me, wouldst give me

    Water with berries in't, and teach me how

    To name the bigger light, and how the less,

    That burn by day and night: and then I loved thee

    And show'd thee all the qualities o' the isle,

    The fresh springs, brine-pits, barren place and fertile:

    Cursed be I that did so! All the charms

    Of Sycorax, toads, beetles, bats, light on you!

    For I am all the subjects that you have,

    Which first was mine own king: and here you sty me

    In this hard rock, whiles you do keep from me

    The rest o' the island.

PROSPERO

    Thou most lying slave,

    Whom stripes may move, not kindness! I have used thee,

    Filth as thou art, with human care, and lodged thee

    In mine own cell, till thou didst seek to violate

    The honour of my child.

CALIBAN

    O ho, O ho! would't had been done!

    Thou didst prevent me; I had peopled else

    This isle with Calibans.

PROSPERO

    Abhorred slave,

    Which any print of goodness wilt not take,

    Being capable of all ill! I pitied thee,

    Took pains to make thee speak, taught thee each hour

    One thing or other: when thou didst not, savage,

    Know thine own meaning, but wouldst gabble like

    A thing most brutish, I endow'd thy purposes

    With words that made them known. But thy vile race,

    Though thou didst learn, had that in't which

    good natures

    Could not abide to be with; therefore wast thou

    Deservedly confined into this rock,

    Who hadst deserved more than a prison.

CALIBAN

    You taught me language; and my profit on't

    Is, I know how to curse. The red plague rid you

    For learning me your language!

PROSPERO

    Hag-seed, hence!

    Fetch us in fuel; and be quick, thou'rt best,

    To answer other business. Shrug'st thou, malice?

    If thou neglect'st or dost unwillingly

    What I command, I'll rack thee with old cramps,

    Fill all thy bones with aches, make thee roar

    That beasts shall tremble at thy din.

CALIBAN

    No, pray thee.

    Aside

    I must obey: his art is of such power,

    It would control my dam's god, Setebos,

    and make a vassal of him.

PROSPERO

    So, slave; hence!

    Exit CALIBAN

    Re-enter ARIEL, invisible, playing and singing; FERDINAND following

    ARIEL'S song.

    Come unto these yellow sands,

    And then take hands:

    Courtsied when you have and kiss'd

    The wild waves whist,

    Foot it featly here and there;

    And, sweet sprites, the burthen bear.

    Hark, hark!

    Burthen [dispersedly, within

    The watch-dogs bark!

    Burthen Bow-wow

    Hark, hark! I hear

    The strain of strutting chanticleer

    Cry, Cock-a-diddle-dow.

FERDINAND

    Where should this music be? i' the air or the earth?

    It sounds no more: and sure, it waits upon

    Some god o' the island. Sitting on a bank,

    Weeping again the king my father's wreck,

    This music crept by me upon the waters,

    Allaying both their fury and my passion

    With its sweet air: thence I have follow'd it,

    Or it hath drawn me rather. But 'tis gone.

    No, it begins again.

    ARIEL sings

    Full fathom five thy father lies;

    Of his bones are coral made;

    Those are pearls that were his eyes:

    Nothing of him that doth fade

    But doth suffer a sea-change

    Into something rich and strange.

    Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell

    Burthen Ding-dong

    Hark! now I hear them,--Ding-dong, bell.

FERDINAND

    The ditty does remember my drown'd father.

    This is no mortal business, nor no sound

    That the earth owes. I hear it now above me.

PROSPERO

    The fringed curtains of thine eye advance

    And say what thou seest yond.

MIRANDA

    What is't? a spirit?

    Lord, how it looks about! Believe me, sir,

    It carries a brave form. But 'tis a spirit.

PROSPERO

    No, wench; it eats and sleeps and hath such senses

    As we have, such. This gallant which thou seest

    Was in the wreck; and, but he's something stain'd

    With grief that's beauty's canker, thou mightst call him

    A goodly person: he hath lost his fellows

    And strays about to find 'em.

MIRANDA

    I might call him

    A thing divine, for nothing natural

    I ever saw so noble.

PROSPERO

    [Aside] It goes on, I see,

    As my soul prompts it. Spirit, fine spirit! I'll free thee

    Within two days for this.

FERDINAND

    Most sure, the goddess

    On whom these airs attend! Vouchsafe my prayer

    May know if you remain upon this island;

    And that you will some good instruction give

    How I may bear me here: my prime request,

    Which I do last pronounce, is, O you wonder!

    If you be maid or no?

MIRANDA

    No wonder, sir;

    But certainly a maid.

FERDINAND

    My language! heavens!

    I am the best of them that speak this speech,

    Were I but where 'tis spoken.

PROSPERO

    How? the best?

    What wert thou, if the King of Naples heard thee?

FERDINAND

    A single thing, as I am now, that wonders

    To hear thee speak of Naples. He does hear me;

    And that he does I weep: myself am Naples,

    Who with mine eyes, never since at ebb, beheld

    The king my father wreck'd.

MIRANDA

    Alack, for mercy!

FERDINAND

    Yes, faith, and all his lords; the Duke of Milan

    And his brave son being twain.

PROSPERO

    [Aside] The Duke of Milan

    And his more braver daughter could control thee,

    If now 'twere fit to do't. At the first sight

    They have changed eyes. Delicate Ariel,

    I'll set thee free for this.

    To FERDINAND

    A word, good sir;

    I fear you have done yourself some wrong: a word.

MIRANDA

    Why speaks my father so ungently? This

    Is the third man that e'er I saw, the first

    That e'er I sigh'd for: pity move my father

    To be inclined my way!

FERDINAND

    O, if a virgin,

    And your affection not gone forth, I'll make you

    The queen of Naples.

PROSPERO

    Soft, sir! one word more.

    Aside

    They are both in either's powers; but this swift business

    I must uneasy make, lest too light winning

    Make the prize light.

    To FERDINAND

    One word more; I charge thee

    That thou attend me: thou dost here usurp

    The name thou owest not; and hast put thyself

    Upon this island as a spy, to win it

    From me, the lord on't.

FERDINAND

    No, as I am a man.

MIRANDA

    There's nothing ill can dwell in such a temple:

    If the ill spirit have so fair a house,

    Good things will strive to dwell with't.

PROSPERO

    Follow me.

    Speak not you for him; he's a traitor. Come;

    I'll manacle thy neck and feet together:

    Sea-water shalt thou drink; thy food shall be

    The fresh-brook muscles, wither'd roots and husks

    Wherein the acorn cradled. Follow.

FERDINAND

    No;

    I will resist such entertainment till

    Mine enemy has more power.

    Draws, and is charmed from moving

MIRANDA

    O dear father,

    Make not too rash a trial of him, for

    He's gentle and not fearful.

PROSPERO

    What? I say,

    My foot my tutor? Put thy sword up, traitor;

    Who makest a show but darest not strike, thy conscience

    Is so possess'd with guilt: come from thy ward,

    For I can here disarm thee with this stick

    And make thy weapon drop.

MIRANDA

    Beseech you, father.

PROSPERO

    Hence! hang not on my garments.

MIRANDA

    Sir, have pity;

    I'll be his surety.

PROSPERO

    Silence! one word more

    Shall make me chide thee, if not hate thee. What!

    An advocate for an imposter! hush!

    Thou think'st there is no more such shapes as he,

    Having seen but him and Caliban: foolish wench!

    To the most of men this is a Caliban

    And they to him are angels.

MIRANDA

    My affections

    Are then most humble; I have no ambition

    To see a goodlier man.

PROSPERO

    Come on; obey:

    Thy nerves are in their infancy again

    And have no vigour in them.

FERDINAND

    So they are;

    My spirits, as in a dream, are all bound up.

    My father's loss, the weakness which I feel,

    The wreck of all my friends, nor this man's threats,

    To whom I am subdued, are but light to me,

    Might I but through my prison once a day

    Behold this maid: all corners else o' the earth

    Let liberty make use of; space enough

    Have I in such a prison.

PROSPERO

    [Aside] It works.

    To FERDINAND

    Come on.

    Thou hast done well, fine Ariel!

    To FERDINAND

    Follow me.

    To ARIEL

    Hark what thou else shalt do me.

MIRANDA

    Be of comfort;

    My father's of a better nature, sir,

    Than he appears by speech: this is unwonted

    Which now came from him.

PROSPERO

    Thou shalt be free

    As mountain winds: but then exactly do

    All points of my command.

ARIEL

    To the syllable.

PROSPERO

    Come, follow. Speak not for him.

    Exeunt

ACT II

SCENE I. Another part of the island.

    Enter ALONSO, SEBASTIAN, ANTONIO, GONZALO, ADRIAN, FRANCISCO, and others

GONZALO

    Beseech you, sir, be merry; you have cause,

    So have we all, of joy; for our escape

    Is much beyond our loss. Our hint of woe

    Is common; every day some sailor's wife,

    The masters of some merchant and the merchant

    Have just our theme of woe; but for the miracle,

    I mean our preservation, few in millions

    Can speak like us: then wisely, good sir, weigh

    Our sorrow with our comfort.

ALONSO

    Prithee, peace.

SEBASTIAN

    He receives comfort like cold porridge.

ANTONIO

    The visitor will not give him o'er so.

SEBASTIAN

    Look he's winding up the watch of his wit;

    by and by it will strike.

GONZALO

    Sir,--

SEBASTIAN

    One: tell.

GONZALO

    When every grief is entertain'd that's offer'd,

    Comes to the entertainer--

SEBASTIAN

    A dollar.

GONZALO

    Dolour comes to him, indeed: you

    have spoken truer than you purposed.

SEBASTIAN

    You have taken it wiselier than I meant you should.

GONZALO

    Therefore, my lord,--

ANTONIO

    Fie, what a spendthrift is he of his tongue!

ALONSO

    I prithee, spare.

GONZALO

    Well, I have done: but yet,--

SEBASTIAN

    He will be talking.

ANTONIO

    Which, of he or Adrian, for a good

    wager, first begins to crow?

SEBASTIAN

    The old cock.

ANTONIO

    The cockerel.

SEBASTIAN

    Done. The wager?

ANTONIO

    A laughter.

SEBASTIAN

    A match!

ADRIAN

    Though this island seem to be desert,--

SEBASTIAN

    Ha, ha, ha! So, you're paid.

ADRIAN

    Uninhabitable and almost inaccessible,--

SEBASTIAN

    Yet,--

ADRIAN

    Yet,--

ANTONIO

    He could not miss't.

ADRIAN

    It must needs be of subtle, tender and delicate

    temperance.

ANTONIO

    Temperance was a delicate wench.

SEBASTIAN

    Ay, and a subtle; as he most learnedly delivered.

ADRIAN

    The air breathes upon us here most sweetly.

SEBASTIAN

    As if it had lungs and rotten ones.

ANTONIO

    Or as 'twere perfumed by a fen.

GONZALO

    Here is everything advantageous to life.

ANTONIO

    True; save means to live.

SEBASTIAN

    Of that there's none, or little.

GONZALO

    How lush and lusty the grass looks! how green!

ANTONIO

    The ground indeed is tawny.

SEBASTIAN

    With an eye of green in't.

ANTONIO

    He misses not much.

SEBASTIAN

    No; he doth but mistake the truth totally.

GONZALO

    But the rarity of it is,--which is indeed almost

    beyond credit,--

SEBASTIAN

    As many vouched rarities are.

GONZALO

    That our garments, being, as they were, drenched in

    the sea, hold notwithstanding their freshness and

    glosses, being rather new-dyed than stained with

    salt water.

ANTONIO

    If but one of his pockets could speak, would it not

    say he lies?

SEBASTIAN

    Ay, or very falsely pocket up his report

GONZALO

    Methinks our garments are now as fresh as when we

    put them on first in Afric, at the marriage of

    the king's fair daughter Claribel to the King of Tunis.

SEBASTIAN

    'Twas a sweet marriage, and we prosper well in our return.

ADRIAN

    Tunis was never graced before with such a paragon to

    their queen.

GONZALO

    Not since widow Dido's time.

ANTONIO

    Widow! a pox o' that! How came that widow in?

    widow Dido!

SEBASTIAN

    What if he had said 'widower AEneas' too? Good Lord,

    how you take it!

ADRIAN

    'Widow Dido' said you? you make me study of that:

    she was of Carthage, not of Tunis.

GONZALO

    This Tunis, sir, was Carthage.

ADRIAN

    Carthage?

GONZALO

    I assure you, Carthage.

SEBASTIAN

    His word is more than the miraculous harp; he hath

    raised the wall and houses too.

ANTONIO

    What impossible matter will he make easy next?

SEBASTIAN

    I think he will carry this island home in his pocket

    and give it his son for an apple.

ANTONIO

    And, sowing the kernels of it in the sea, bring

    forth more islands.

GONZALO

    Ay.

ANTONIO

    Why, in good time.

GONZALO

    Sir, we were talking that our garments seem now

    as fresh as when we were at Tunis at the marriage

    of your daughter, who is now queen.

ANTONIO

    And the rarest that e'er came there.

SEBASTIAN

    Bate, I beseech you, widow Dido.

ANTONIO

    O, widow Dido! ay, widow Dido.

GONZALO

    Is not, sir, my doublet as fresh as the first day I

    wore it? I mean, in a sort.

ANTONIO

    That sort was well fished for.

GONZALO

    When I wore it at your daughter's marriage?

ALONSO

    You cram these words into mine ears against

    The stomach of my sense. Would I had never

    Married my daughter there! for, coming thence,

    My son is lost and, in my rate, she too,

    Who is so far from Italy removed

    I ne'er again shall see her. O thou mine heir

    Of Naples and of Milan, what strange fish

    Hath made his meal on thee?

FRANCISCO

    Sir, he may live:

    I saw him beat the surges under him,

    And ride upon their backs; he trod the water,

    Whose enmity he flung aside, and breasted

    The surge most swoln that met him; his bold head

    'Bove the contentious waves he kept, and oar'd

    Himself with his good arms in lusty stroke

    To the shore, that o'er his wave-worn basis bow'd,

    As stooping to relieve him: I not doubt

    He came alive to land.

ALONSO

    No, no, he's gone.

SEBASTIAN

    Sir, you may thank yourself for this great loss,

    That would not bless our Europe with your daughter,

    But rather lose her to an African;

    Where she at least is banish'd from your eye,

    Who hath cause to wet the grief on't.

ALONSO

    Prithee, peace.

SEBASTIAN

    You were kneel'd to and importuned otherwise

    By all of us, and the fair soul herself

    Weigh'd between loathness and obedience, at

    Which end o' the beam should bow. We have lost your

    son,

    I fear, for ever: Milan and Naples have

    More widows in them of this business' making

    Than we bring men to comfort them:

    The fault's your own.

ALONSO

    So is the dear'st o' the loss.

GONZALO

    My lord Sebastian,

    The truth you speak doth lack some gentleness

    And time to speak it in: you rub the sore,

    When you should bring the plaster.

SEBASTIAN

    Very well.

ANTONIO

    And most chirurgeonly.

GONZALO

    It is foul weather in us all, good sir,

    When you are cloudy.

SEBASTIAN

    Foul weather?

ANTONIO

    Very foul.

GONZALO

    Had I plantation of this isle, my lord,--

ANTONIO

    He'ld sow't with nettle-seed.

SEBASTIAN

    Or docks, or mallows.

GONZALO

    And were the king on't, what would I do?

SEBASTIAN

    'Scape being drunk for want of wine.

GONZALO

    I' the commonwealth I would by contraries

    Execute all things; for no kind of traffic

    Would I admit; no name of magistrate;

    Letters should not be known; riches, poverty,

    And use of service, none; contract, succession,

    Bourn, bound of land, tilth, vineyard, none;

    No use of metal, corn, or wine, or oil;

    No occupation; all men idle, all;

    And women too, but innocent and pure;

    No sovereignty;--

SEBASTIAN

    Yet he would be king on't.

ANTONIO

    The latter end of his commonwealth forgets the

    beginning.

GONZALO

    All things in common nature should produce

    Without sweat or endeavour: treason, felony,

    Sword, pike, knife, gun, or need of any engine,

    Would I not have; but nature should bring forth,

    Of its own kind, all foison, all abundance,

    To feed my innocent people.

SEBASTIAN

    No marrying 'mong his subjects?

ANTONIO

    None, man; all idle: whores and knaves.

GONZALO

    I would with such perfection govern, sir,

    To excel the golden age.

SEBASTIAN

    God save his majesty!

ANTONIO

    Long live Gonzalo!

GONZALO

    And,--do you mark me, sir?

ALONSO

    Prithee, no more: thou dost talk nothing to me.

GONZALO

    I do well believe your highness; and

    did it to minister occasion to these gentlemen,

    who are of such sensible and nimble lungs that

    they always use to laugh at nothing.

ANTONIO

    'Twas you we laughed at.

GONZALO

    Who in this kind of merry fooling am nothing

    to you: so you may continue and laugh at

    nothing still.

ANTONIO

    What a blow was there given!

SEBASTIAN

    An it had not fallen flat-long.

GONZALO

    You are gentlemen of brave metal; you would lift

    the moon out of her sphere, if she would continue

    in it five weeks without changing.

    Enter ARIEL, invisible, playing solemn music

SEBASTIAN

    We would so, and then go a bat-fowling.

ANTONIO

    Nay, good my lord, be not angry.

GONZALO

    No, I warrant you; I will not adventure

    my discretion so weakly. Will you laugh

    me asleep, for I am very heavy?

ANTONIO

    Go sleep, and hear us.

    All sleep except ALONSO, SEBASTIAN, and ANTONIO

ALONSO

    What, all so soon asleep! I wish mine eyes

    Would, with themselves, shut up my thoughts: I find

    They are inclined to do so.

SEBASTIAN

    Please you, sir,

    Do not omit the heavy offer of it:

    It seldom visits sorrow; when it doth,

    It is a comforter.

ANTONIO

    We two, my lord,

    Will guard your person while you take your rest,

    And watch your safety.

ALONSO

    Thank you. Wondrous heavy.

    ALONSO sleeps. Exit ARIEL

SEBASTIAN

    What a strange drowsiness possesses them!

ANTONIO

    It is the quality o' the climate.

SEBASTIAN

    Why

    Doth it not then our eyelids sink? I find not

    Myself disposed to sleep.

ANTONIO

    Nor I; my spirits are nimble.

    They fell together all, as by consent;

    They dropp'd, as by a thunder-stroke. What might,

    Worthy Sebastian? O, what might?--No more:--

    And yet me thinks I see it in thy face,

    What thou shouldst be: the occasion speaks thee, and

    My strong imagination sees a crown

    Dropping upon thy head.

SEBASTIAN

    What, art thou waking?

ANTONIO

    Do you not hear me speak?

SEBASTIAN

    I do; and surely

    It is a sleepy language and thou speak'st

    Out of thy sleep. What is it thou didst say?

    This is a strange repose, to be asleep

    With eyes wide open; standing, speaking, moving,

    And yet so fast asleep.

ANTONIO

    Noble Sebastian,

    Thou let'st thy fortune sleep--die, rather; wink'st

    Whiles thou art waking.

SEBASTIAN

    Thou dost snore distinctly;

    There's meaning in thy snores.

ANTONIO

    I am more serious than my custom: you

    Must be so too, if heed me; which to do

    Trebles thee o'er.

SEBASTIAN

    Well, I am standing water.

ANTONIO

    I'll teach you how to flow.

SEBASTIAN

    Do so: to ebb

    Hereditary sloth instructs me.

ANTONIO

    O,

    If you but knew how you the purpose cherish

    Whiles thus you mock it! how, in stripping it,

    You more invest it! Ebbing men, indeed,

    Most often do so near the bottom run

    By their own fear or sloth.

SEBASTIAN

    Prithee, say on:

    The setting of thine eye and cheek proclaim

    A matter from thee, and a birth indeed

    Which throes thee much to yield.

ANTONIO

    Thus, sir:

    Although this lord of weak remembrance, this,

    Who shall be of as little memory

    When he is earth'd, hath here almost persuade,--

    For he's a spirit of persuasion, only

    Professes to persuade,--the king his son's alive,

    'Tis as impossible that he's undrown'd

    And he that sleeps here swims.

SEBASTIAN

    I have no hope

    That he's undrown'd.

ANTONIO

    O, out of that 'no hope'

    What great hope have you! no hope that way is

    Another way so high a hope that even

    Ambition cannot pierce a wink beyond,

    But doubt discovery there. Will you grant with me

    That Ferdinand is drown'd?

SEBASTIAN

    He's gone.

ANTONIO

    Then, tell me,

    Who's the next heir of Naples?

SEBASTIAN

    Claribel.

ANTONIO

    She that is queen of Tunis; she that dwells

    Ten leagues beyond man's life; she that from Naples

    Can have no note, unless the sun were post--

    The man i' the moon's too slow--till new-born chins

    Be rough and razorable; she that--from whom?

    We all were sea-swallow'd, though some cast again,

    And by that destiny to perform an act

    Whereof what's past is prologue, what to come

    In yours and my discharge.

SEBASTIAN

    What stuff is this! how say you?

    'Tis true, my brother's daughter's queen of Tunis;

    So is she heir of Naples; 'twixt which regions

    There is some space.

ANTONIO

    A space whose every cubit

    Seems to cry out, 'How shall that Claribel

    Measure us back to Naples? Keep in Tunis,

    And let Sebastian wake.' Say, this were death

    That now hath seized them; why, they were no worse

    Than now they are. There be that can rule Naples

    As well as he that sleeps; lords that can prate

    As amply and unnecessarily

    As this Gonzalo; I myself could make

    A chough of as deep chat. O, that you bore

    The mind that I do! what a sleep were this

    For your advancement! Do you understand me?

SEBASTIAN

    Methinks I do.

ANTONIO

    And how does your content

    Tender your own good fortune?

SEBASTIAN

    I remember

    You did supplant your brother Prospero.

ANTONIO

    True:

    And look how well my garments sit upon me;

    Much feater than before: my brother's servants

    Were then my fellows; now they are my men.

SEBASTIAN

    But, for your conscience?

ANTONIO

    Ay, sir; where lies that? if 'twere a kibe,

    'Twould put me to my slipper: but I feel not

    This deity in my bosom: twenty consciences,

    That stand 'twixt me and Milan, candied be they

    And melt ere they molest! Here lies your brother,

    No better than the earth he lies upon,

    If he were that which now he's like, that's dead;

    Whom I, with this obedient steel, three inches of it,

    Can lay to bed for ever; whiles you, doing thus,

    To the perpetual wink for aye might put

    This ancient morsel, this Sir Prudence, who

    Should not upbraid our course. For all the rest,

    They'll take suggestion as a cat laps milk;

    They'll tell the clock to any business that

    We say befits the hour.

SEBASTIAN

    Thy case, dear friend,

    Shall be my precedent; as thou got'st Milan,

    I'll come by Naples. Draw thy sword: one stroke

    Shall free thee from the tribute which thou payest;

    And I the king shall love thee.

ANTONIO

    Draw together;

    And when I rear my hand, do you the like,

    To fall it on Gonzalo.

SEBASTIAN

    O, but one word.

    They talk apart

    Re-enter ARIEL, invisible

ARIEL

    My master through his art foresees the danger

    That you, his friend, are in; and sends me forth--

    For else his project dies--to keep them living.

    Sings in GONZALO's ear

    While you here do snoring lie,

    Open-eyed conspiracy

    His time doth take.

    If of life you keep a care,

    Shake off slumber, and beware:

    Awake, awake!

ANTONIO

    Then let us both be sudden.

GONZALO

    Now, good angels

    Preserve the king.

    They wake

ALONSO

    Why, how now? ho, awake! Why are you drawn?

    Wherefore this ghastly looking?

GONZALO

    What's the matter?

SEBASTIAN

    Whiles we stood here securing your repose,

    Even now, we heard a hollow burst of bellowing

    Like bulls, or rather lions: did't not wake you?

    It struck mine ear most terribly.

ALONSO

    I heard nothing.

ANTONIO

    O, 'twas a din to fright a monster's ear,

    To make an earthquake! sure, it was the roar

    Of a whole herd of lions.

ALONSO

    Heard you this, Gonzalo?

GONZALO

    Upon mine honour, sir, I heard a humming,

    And that a strange one too, which did awake me:

    I shaked you, sir, and cried: as mine eyes open'd,

    I saw their weapons drawn: there was a noise,

    That's verily. 'Tis best we stand upon our guard,

    Or that we quit this place; let's draw our weapons.

ALONSO

    Lead off this ground; and let's make further search

    For my poor son.

GONZALO

    Heavens keep him from these beasts!

    For he is, sure, i' the island.

ALONSO

    Lead away.

ARIEL

    Prospero my lord shall know what I have done:

    So, king, go safely on to seek thy son.

    Exeunt

SCENE II. Another part of the island.

    Enter CALIBAN with a burden of wood. A noise of thunder heard

CALIBAN

    All the infections that the sun sucks up

    From bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall and make him

    By inch-meal a disease! His spirits hear me

    And yet I needs must curse. But they'll nor pinch,

    Fright me with urchin--shows, pitch me i' the mire,

    Nor lead me, like a firebrand, in the dark

    Out of my way, unless he bid 'em; but

    For every trifle are they set upon me;

    Sometime like apes that mow and chatter at me

    And after bite me, then like hedgehogs which

    Lie tumbling in my barefoot way and mount

    Their pricks at my footfall; sometime am I

    All wound with adders who with cloven tongues

    Do hiss me into madness.

    Enter TRINCULO

    Lo, now, lo!

    Here comes a spirit of his, and to torment me

    For bringing wood in slowly. I'll fall flat;

    Perchance he will not mind me.

TRINCULO

    Here's neither bush nor shrub, to bear off

    any weather at all, and another storm brewing;

    I hear it sing i' the wind: yond same black

    cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul

    bombard that would shed his liquor. If it

    should thunder as it did before, I know not

    where to hide my head: yond same cloud cannot

    choose but fall by pailfuls. What have we

    here? a man or a fish? dead or alive? A fish:

    he smells like a fish; a very ancient and fish-

    like smell; a kind of not of the newest Poor-

    John. A strange fish! Were I in England now,

    as once I was, and had but this fish painted,

    not a holiday fool there but would give a piece

    of silver: there would this monster make a

    man; any strange beast there makes a man:

    when they will not give a doit to relieve a lame

    beggar, they will lazy out ten to see a dead

    Indian. Legged like a man and his fins like

    arms! Warm o' my troth! I do now let loose

    my opinion; hold it no longer: this is no fish,

    but an islander, that hath lately suffered by a

    thunderbolt.

    Thunder

    Alas, the storm is come again! my best way is to

    creep under his gaberdine; there is no other

    shelter hereabouts: misery acquaints a man with

    strange bed-fellows. I will here shroud till the

    dregs of the storm be past.

    Enter STEPHANO, singing: a bottle in his hand

STEPHANO

    I shall no more to sea, to sea,

    Here shall I die ashore--

    This is a very scurvy tune to sing at a man's

    funeral: well, here's my comfort.

    Drinks

    Sings

    The master, the swabber, the boatswain and I,

    The gunner and his mate

    Loved Mall, Meg and Marian and Margery,

    But none of us cared for Kate;

    For she had a tongue with a tang,

    Would cry to a sailor, Go hang!

    She loved not the savour of tar nor of pitch,

    Yet a tailor might scratch her where'er she did itch:

    Then to sea, boys, and let her go hang!

    This is a scurvy tune too: but here's my comfort.

    Drinks

CALIBAN

    Do not torment me: Oh!

STEPHANO

    What's the matter? Have we devils here? Do you put

    tricks upon's with savages and men of Ind, ha? I

    have not scaped drowning to be afeard now of your

    four legs; for it hath been said, As proper a man as

    ever went on four legs cannot make him give ground;

    and it shall be said so again while Stephano

    breathes at's nostrils.

CALIBAN

    The spirit torments me; Oh!

STEPHANO

    This is some monster of the isle with four legs, who

    hath got, as I take it, an ague. Where the devil

    should he learn our language? I will give him some

    relief, if it be but for that. if I can recover him

    and keep him tame and get to Naples with him, he's a

    present for any emperor that ever trod on neat's leather.

CALIBAN

    Do not torment me, prithee; I'll bring my wood home faster.

STEPHANO

    He's in his fit now and does not talk after the

    wisest. He shall taste of my bottle: if he have

    never drunk wine afore will go near to remove his

    fit. If I can recover him and keep him tame, I will

    not take too much for him; he shall pay for him that

    hath him, and that soundly.

CALIBAN

    Thou dost me yet but little hurt; thou wilt anon, I

    know it by thy trembling: now Prosper works upon thee.

STEPHANO

    Come on your ways; open your mouth; here is that

    which will give language to you, cat: open your

    mouth; this will shake your shaking, I can tell you,

    and that soundly: you cannot tell who's your friend:

    open your chaps again.

TRINCULO

    I should know that voice: it should be--but he is

    drowned; and these are devils: O defend me!

STEPHANO

    Four legs and two voices: a most delicate monster!

    His forward voice now is to speak well of his

    friend; his backward voice is to utter foul speeches

    and to detract. If all the wine in my bottle will

    recover him, I will help his ague. Come. Amen! I

    will pour some in thy other mouth.

TRINCULO

    Stephano!

STEPHANO

    Doth thy other mouth call me? Mercy, mercy! This is

    a devil, and no monster: I will leave him; I have no

    long spoon.

TRINCULO

    Stephano! If thou beest Stephano, touch me and

    speak to me: for I am Trinculo--be not afeard--thy

    good friend Trinculo.

STEPHANO

    If thou beest Trinculo, come forth: I'll pull thee

    by the lesser legs: if any be Trinculo's legs,

    these are they. Thou art very Trinculo indeed! How

    camest thou to be the siege of this moon-calf? can

    he vent Trinculos?

TRINCULO

    I took him to be killed with a thunder-stroke. But

    art thou not drowned, Stephano? I hope now thou art

    not drowned. Is the storm overblown? I hid me

    under the dead moon-calf's gaberdine for fear of

    the storm. And art thou living, Stephano? O

    Stephano, two Neapolitans 'scaped!

STEPHANO

    Prithee, do not turn me about; my stomach is not constant.

CALIBAN

    [Aside] These be fine things, an if they be

    not sprites.

    That's a brave god and bears celestial liquor.

    I will kneel to him.

STEPHANO

    How didst thou 'scape? How camest thou hither?

    swear by this bottle how thou camest hither. I

    escaped upon a butt of sack which the sailors

    heaved o'erboard, by this bottle; which I made of

    the bark of a tree with mine own hands since I was

    cast ashore.

CALIBAN

    I'll swear upon that bottle to be thy true subject;

    for the liquor is not earthly.

STEPHANO

    Here; swear then how thou escapedst.

TRINCULO

    Swum ashore. man, like a duck: I can swim like a

    duck, I'll be sworn.

STEPHANO

    Here, kiss the book. Though thou canst swim like a

    duck, thou art made like a goose.

TRINCULO

    O Stephano. hast any more of this?

STEPHANO

    The whole butt, man: my cellar is in a rock by the

    sea-side where my wine is hid. How now, moon-calf!

    how does thine ague?

CALIBAN

    Hast thou not dropp'd from heaven?

STEPHANO

    Out o' the moon, I do assure thee: I was the man i'

    the moon when time was.

CALIBAN

    I have seen thee in her and I do adore thee:

    My mistress show'd me thee and thy dog and thy bush.

STEPHANO

    Come, swear to that; kiss the book: I will furnish

    it anon with new contents swear.

TRINCULO

    By this good light, this is a very shallow monster!

    I afeard of him! A very weak monster! The man i'

    the moon! A most poor credulous monster! Well

    drawn, monster, in good sooth!

CALIBAN

    I'll show thee every fertile inch o' th' island;

    And I will kiss thy foot: I prithee, be my god.

TRINCULO

    By this light, a most perfidious and drunken

    monster! when 's god's asleep, he'll rob his bottle.

CALIBAN

    I'll kiss thy foot; I'll swear myself thy subject.

STEPHANO

    Come on then; down, and swear.

TRINCULO

    I shall laugh myself to death at this puppy-headed

    monster. A most scurvy monster! I could find in my

    heart to beat him,--

STEPHANO

    Come, kiss.

TRINCULO

    But that the poor monster's in drink: an abominable monster!

CALIBAN

    I'll show thee the best springs; I'll pluck thee berries;

    I'll fish for thee and get thee wood enough.

    A plague upon the tyrant that I serve!

    I'll bear him no more sticks, but follow thee,

    Thou wondrous man.

TRINCULO

    A most ridiculous monster, to make a wonder of a

    Poor drunkard!

CALIBAN

    I prithee, let me bring thee where crabs grow;

    And I with my long nails will dig thee pignuts;

    Show thee a jay's nest and instruct thee how

    To snare the nimble marmoset; I'll bring thee

    To clustering filberts and sometimes I'll get thee

    Young scamels from the rock. Wilt thou go with me?

STEPHANO

    I prithee now, lead the way without any more

    talking. Trinculo, the king and all our company

    else being drowned, we will inherit here: here;

    bear my bottle: fellow Trinculo, we'll fill him by

    and by again.

CALIBAN

    [Sings drunkenly]

    Farewell master; farewell, farewell!

TRINCULO

    A howling monster: a drunken monster!

CALIBAN

    No more dams I'll make for fish

    Nor fetch in firing

    At requiring;

    Nor scrape trencher, nor wash dish

    'Ban, 'Ban, Cacaliban

    Has a new master: get a new man.

    Freedom, hey-day! hey-day, freedom! freedom,

    hey-day, freedom!

STEPHANO

    O brave monster! Lead the way.

    Exeunt

ACT III

SCENE I. Before PROSPERO'S Cell.

    Enter FERDINAND, bearing a log

FERDINAND

    There be some sports are painful, and their labour

    Delight in them sets off: some kinds of baseness

    Are nobly undergone and most poor matters

    Point to rich ends. This my mean task

    Would be as heavy to me as odious, but

    The mistress which I serve quickens what's dead

    And makes my labours pleasures: O, she is

    Ten times more gentle than her father's crabbed,

    And he's composed of harshness. I must remove

    Some thousands of these logs and pile them up,

    Upon a sore injunction: my sweet mistress

    Weeps when she sees me work, and says, such baseness

    Had never like executor. I forget:

    But these sweet thoughts do even refresh my labours,

    Most busy lest, when I do it.

    Enter MIRANDA; and PROSPERO at a distance, unseen

MIRANDA

    Alas, now, pray you,

    Work not so hard: I would the lightning had

    Burnt up those logs that you are enjoin'd to pile!

    Pray, set it down and rest you: when this burns,

    'Twill weep for having wearied you. My father

    Is hard at study; pray now, rest yourself;

    He's safe for these three hours.

FERDINAND

    O most dear mistress,

    The sun will set before I shall discharge

    What I must strive to do.

MIRANDA

    If you'll sit down,

    I'll bear your logs the while: pray, give me that;

    I'll carry it to the pile.

FERDINAND

    No, precious creature;

    I had rather crack my sinews, break my back,

    Than you should such dishonour undergo,

    While I sit lazy by.

MIRANDA

    It would become me

    As well as it does you: and I should do it

    With much more ease; for my good will is to it,

    And yours it is against.

PROSPERO

    Poor worm, thou art infected!

    This visitation shows it.

MIRANDA

    You look wearily.

FERDINAND

    No, noble mistress;'tis fresh morning with me

    When you are by at night. I do beseech you--

    Chiefly that I might set it in my prayers--

    What is your name?

MIRANDA

    Miranda.--O my father,

    I have broke your hest to say so!

FERDINAND

    Admired Miranda!

    Indeed the top of admiration! worth

    What's dearest to the world! Full many a lady

    I have eyed with best regard and many a time

    The harmony of their tongues hath into bondage

    Brought my too diligent ear: for several virtues

    Have I liked several women; never any

    With so fun soul, but some defect in her

    Did quarrel with the noblest grace she owed

    And put it to the foil: but you, O you,

    So perfect and so peerless, are created

    Of every creature's best!

MIRANDA

    I do not know

    One of my sex; no woman's face remember,

    Save, from my glass, mine own; nor have I seen

    More that I may call men than you, good friend,

    And my dear father: how features are abroad,

    I am skilless of; but, by my modesty,

    The jewel in my dower, I would not wish

    Any companion in the world but you,

    Nor can imagination form a shape,

    Besides yourself, to like of. But I prattle

    Something too wildly and my father's precepts

    I therein do forget.

FERDINAND

    I am in my condition

    A prince, Miranda; I do think, a king;

    I would, not so!--and would no more endure

    This wooden slavery than to suffer

    The flesh-fly blow my mouth. Hear my soul speak:

    The very instant that I saw you, did

    My heart fly to your service; there resides,

    To make me slave to it; and for your sake

    Am I this patient log--man.

MIRANDA

    Do you love me?

FERDINAND

    O heaven, O earth, bear witness to this sound

    And crown what I profess with kind event

    If I speak true! if hollowly, invert

    What best is boded me to mischief! I

    Beyond all limit of what else i' the world

    Do love, prize, honour you.

MIRANDA

    I am a fool

    To weep at what I am glad of.

PROSPERO

    Fair encounter

    Of two most rare affections! Heavens rain grace

    On that which breeds between 'em!

FERDINAND

    Wherefore weep you?

MIRANDA

    At mine unworthiness that dare not offer

    What I desire to give, and much less take

    What I shall die to want. But this is trifling;

    And all the more it seeks to hide itself,

    The bigger bulk it shows. Hence, bashful cunning!

    And prompt me, plain and holy innocence!

    I am your wife, it you will marry me;

    If not, I'll die your maid: to be your fellow

    You may deny me; but I'll be your servant,

    Whether you will or no.

FERDINAND

    My mistress, dearest;

    And I thus humble ever.

MIRANDA

    My husband, then?

FERDINAND

    Ay, with a heart as willing

    As bondage e'er of freedom: here's my hand.

MIRANDA

    And mine, with my heart in't; and now farewell

    Till half an hour hence.

FERDINAND

    A thousand thousand!

    Exeunt FERDINAND and MIRANDA severally

PROSPERO

    So glad of this as they I cannot be,

    Who are surprised withal; but my rejoicing

    At nothing can be more. I'll to my book,

    For yet ere supper-time must I perform

    Much business appertaining.

    Exit

SCENE II. Another part of the island.

    Enter CALIBAN, STEPHANO, and TRINCULO

STEPHANO

    Tell not me; when the butt is out, we will drink

    water; not a drop before: therefore bear up, and

    board 'em. Servant-monster, drink to me.

TRINCULO

    Servant-monster! the folly of this island! They

    say there's but five upon this isle: we are three

    of them; if th' other two be brained like us, the

    state totters.

STEPHANO

    Drink, servant-monster, when I bid thee: thy eyes

    are almost set in thy head.

TRINCULO

    Where should they be set else? he were a brave

    monster indeed, if they were set in his tail.

STEPHANO

    My man-monster hath drown'd his tongue in sack:

    for my part, the sea cannot drown me; I swam, ere I

    could recover the shore, five and thirty leagues off

    and on. By this light, thou shalt be my lieutenant,

    monster, or my standard.

TRINCULO

    Your lieutenant, if you list; he's no standard.

STEPHANO

    We'll not run, Monsieur Monster.

TRINCULO

    Nor go neither; but you'll lie like dogs and yet say

    nothing neither.

STEPHANO

    Moon-calf, speak once in thy life, if thou beest a

    good moon-calf.

CALIBAN

    How does thy honour? Let me lick thy shoe.

    I'll not serve him; he's not valiant.

TRINCULO

    Thou liest, most ignorant monster: I am in case to

    justle a constable. Why, thou deboshed fish thou,

    was there ever man a coward that hath drunk so much

    sack as I to-day? Wilt thou tell a monstrous lie,

    being but half a fish and half a monster?

CALIBAN

    Lo, how he mocks me! wilt thou let him, my lord?

TRINCULO

    'Lord' quoth he! That a monster should be such a natural!

CALIBAN

    Lo, lo, again! bite him to death, I prithee.

STEPHANO

    Trinculo, keep a good tongue in your head: if you

    prove a mutineer,--the next tree! The poor monster's

    my subject and he shall not suffer indignity.

CALIBAN

    I thank my noble lord. Wilt thou be pleased to

    hearken once again to the suit I made to thee?

STEPHANO

    Marry, will I kneel and repeat it; I will stand,

    and so shall Trinculo.

    Enter ARIEL, invisible

CALIBAN

    As I told thee before, I am subject to a tyrant, a

    sorcerer, that by his cunning hath cheated me of the island.

ARIEL

    Thou liest.

CALIBAN

    Thou liest, thou jesting monkey, thou: I would my

    valiant master would destroy thee! I do not lie.

STEPHANO

    Trinculo, if you trouble him any more in's tale, by

    this hand, I will supplant some of your teeth.

TRINCULO

    Why, I said nothing.

STEPHANO

    Mum, then, and no more. Proceed.

CALIBAN

    I say, by sorcery he got this isle;

    From me he got it. if thy greatness will

    Revenge it on him,--for I know thou darest,

    But this thing dare not,--

STEPHANO

    That's most certain.

CALIBAN

    Thou shalt be lord of it and I'll serve thee.

STEPHANO

    How now shall this be compassed?

    Canst thou bring me to the party?

CALIBAN

    Yea, yea, my lord: I'll yield him thee asleep,

    Where thou mayst knock a nail into his bead.

ARIEL

    Thou liest; thou canst not.

CALIBAN

    What a pied ninny's this! Thou scurvy patch!

    I do beseech thy greatness, give him blows

    And take his bottle from him: when that's gone

    He shall drink nought but brine; for I'll not show him

    Where the quick freshes are.

STEPHANO

    Trinculo, run into no further danger:

    interrupt the monster one word further, and,

    by this hand, I'll turn my mercy out o' doors

    and make a stock-fish of thee.

TRINCULO

    Why, what did I? I did nothing. I'll go farther

    off.

STEPHANO

    Didst thou not say he lied?

ARIEL

    Thou liest.

STEPHANO

    Do I so? take thou that.

    Beats TRINCULO

    As you like this, give me the lie another time.

TRINCULO

    I did not give the lie. Out o' your

    wits and bearing too? A pox o' your bottle!

    this can sack and drinking do. A murrain on

    your monster, and the devil take your fingers!

CALIBAN

    Ha, ha, ha!

STEPHANO

    Now, forward with your tale. Prithee, stand farther

    off.

CALIBAN

    Beat him enough: after a little time

    I'll beat him too.

STEPHANO

    Stand farther. Come, proceed.

CALIBAN

    Why, as I told thee, 'tis a custom with him,

    I' th' afternoon to sleep: there thou mayst brain him,

    Having first seized his books, or with a log

    Batter his skull, or paunch him with a stake,

    Or cut his wezand with thy knife. Remember

    First to possess his books; for without them

    He's but a sot, as I am, nor hath not

    One spirit to command: they all do hate him

    As rootedly as I. Burn but his books.

    He has brave utensils,--for so he calls them--

    Which when he has a house, he'll deck withal

    And that most deeply to consider is

    The beauty of his daughter; he himself

    Calls her a nonpareil: I never saw a woman,

    But only Sycorax my dam and she;

    But she as far surpasseth Sycorax

    As great'st does least.

STEPHANO

    Is it so brave a lass?

CALIBAN

    Ay, lord; she will become thy bed, I warrant.

    And bring thee forth brave brood.

STEPHANO

    Monster, I will kill this man: his daughter and I

    will be king and queen--save our graces!--and

    Trinculo and thyself shall be viceroys. Dost thou

    like the plot, Trinculo?

TRINCULO

    Excellent.

STEPHANO

    Give me thy hand: I am sorry I beat thee; but,

    while thou livest, keep a good tongue in thy head.

CALIBAN

    Within this half hour will he be asleep:

    Wilt thou destroy him then?

STEPHANO

    Ay, on mine honour.

ARIEL

    This will I tell my master.

CALIBAN

    Thou makest me merry; I am full of pleasure:

    Let us be jocund: will you troll the catch

    You taught me but while-ere?

STEPHANO

    At thy request, monster, I will do reason, any

    reason. Come on, Trinculo, let us sing.

    Sings

    Flout 'em and scout 'em

    And scout 'em and flout 'em

    Thought is free.

CALIBAN

    That's not the tune.

    Ariel plays the tune on a tabour and pipe

STEPHANO

    What is this same?

TRINCULO

    This is the tune of our catch, played by the picture

    of Nobody.

STEPHANO

    If thou beest a man, show thyself in thy likeness:

    if thou beest a devil, take't as thou list.

TRINCULO

    O, forgive me my sins!

STEPHANO

    He that dies pays all debts: I defy thee. Mercy upon us!

CALIBAN

    Art thou afeard?

STEPHANO

    No, monster, not I.

CALIBAN

    Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,

    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.

    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments

    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices

    That, if I then had waked after long sleep,

    Will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming,

    The clouds methought would open and show riches

    Ready to drop upon me that, when I waked,

    I cried to dream again.

STEPHANO

    This will prove a brave kingdom to me, where I shall

    have my music for nothing.

CALIBAN

    When Prospero is destroyed.

STEPHANO

    That shall be by and by: I remember the story.

TRINCULO

    The sound is going away; let's follow it, and

    after do our work.

STEPHANO

    Lead, monster; we'll follow. I would I could see

    this tabourer; he lays it on.

TRINCULO

    Wilt come? I'll follow, Stephano.

    Exeunt

SCENE III. Another part of the island.

    Enter ALONSO, SEBASTIAN, ANTONIO, GONZALO, ADRIAN, FRANCISCO, and others

GONZALO

    By'r lakin, I can go no further, sir;

    My old bones ache: here's a maze trod indeed

    Through forth-rights and meanders! By your patience,

    I needs must rest me.

ALONSO

    Old lord, I cannot blame thee,

    Who am myself attach'd with weariness,

    To the dulling of my spirits: sit down, and rest.

    Even here I will put off my hope and keep it

    No longer for my flatterer: he is drown'd

    Whom thus we stray to find, and the sea mocks

    Our frustrate search on land. Well, let him go.

ANTONIO

    [Aside to SEBASTIAN] I am right glad that he's so

    out of hope.

    Do not, for one repulse, forego the purpose

    That you resolved to effect.

SEBASTIAN

    [Aside to ANTONIO] The next advantage

    Will we take throughly.

ANTONIO

    [Aside to SEBASTIAN] Let it be to-night;

    For, now they are oppress'd with travel, they

    Will not, nor cannot, use such vigilance

    As when they are fresh.

SEBASTIAN

    [Aside to ANTONIO] I say, to-night: no more.

    Solemn and strange music

ALONSO

    What harmony is this? My good friends, hark!

GONZALO

    Marvellous sweet music!

    Enter PROSPERO above, invisible. Enter several strange Shapes, bringing in a banquet; they dance about it with gentle actions of salutation; and, inviting the King, & c. to eat, they depart

ALONSO

    Give us kind keepers, heavens! What were these?

SEBASTIAN

    A living drollery. Now I will believe

    That there are unicorns, that in Arabia

    There is one tree, the phoenix' throne, one phoenix

    At this hour reigning there.

ANTONIO

    I'll believe both;

    And what does else want credit, come to me,

    And I'll be sworn 'tis true: travellers ne'er did

    lie,

    Though fools at home condemn 'em.

GONZALO

    If in Naples

    I should report this now, would they believe me?

    If I should say, I saw such islanders--

    For, certes, these are people of the island--

    Who, though they are of monstrous shape, yet, note,

    Their manners are more gentle-kind than of

    Our human generation you shall find

    Many, nay, almost any.

PROSPERO

    [Aside] Honest lord,

    Thou hast said well; for some of you there present

    Are worse than devils.

ALONSO

    I cannot too much muse

    Such shapes, such gesture and such sound, expressing,

    Although they want the use of tongue, a kind

    Of excellent dumb discourse.

PROSPERO

    [Aside] Praise in departing.

FRANCISCO

    They vanish'd strangely.

SEBASTIAN

    No matter, since

    They have left their viands behind; for we have stomachs.

    Will't please you taste of what is here?

ALONSO

    Not I.

GONZALO

    Faith, sir, you need not fear. When we were boys,

    Who would believe that there were mountaineers

    Dew-lapp'd like bulls, whose throats had hanging at 'em

    Wallets of flesh? or that there were such men

    Whose heads stood in their breasts? which now we find

    Each putter-out of five for one will bring us

    Good warrant of.

ALONSO

    I will stand to and feed,

    Although my last: no matter, since I feel

    The best is past. Brother, my lord the duke,

    Stand to and do as we.

    Thunder and lightning. Enter ARIEL, like a harpy; claps his wings upon the table; and, with a quaint device, the banquet vanishes

ARIEL

    You are three men of sin, whom Destiny,

    That hath to instrument this lower world

    And what is in't, the never-surfeited sea

    Hath caused to belch up you; and on this island

    Where man doth not inhabit; you 'mongst men

    Being most unfit to live. I have made you mad;

    And even with such-like valour men hang and drown

    Their proper selves.

    ALONSO, SEBASTIAN & c. draw their swords

    You fools! I and my fellows

    Are ministers of Fate: the elements,

    Of whom your swords are temper'd, may as well

    Wound the loud winds, or with bemock'd-at stabs

    Kill the still-closing waters, as diminish

    One dowle that's in my plume: my fellow-ministers

    Are like invulnerable. If you could hurt,

    Your swords are now too massy for your strengths

    And will not be uplifted. But remember--

    For that's my business to you--that you three

    From Milan did supplant good Prospero;

    Exposed unto the sea, which hath requit it,

    Him and his innocent child: for which foul deed

    The powers, delaying, not forgetting, have

    Incensed the seas and shores, yea, all the creatures,

    Against your peace. Thee of thy son, Alonso,

    They have bereft; and do pronounce by me:

    Lingering perdition, worse than any death

    Can be at once, shall step by step attend

    You and your ways; whose wraths to guard you from--

    Which here, in this most desolate isle, else falls

    Upon your heads--is nothing but heart-sorrow

    And a clear life ensuing.

    He vanishes in thunder; then, to soft music enter the Shapes again, and dance, with mocks and mows, and carrying out the table

PROSPERO

    Bravely the figure of this harpy hast thou

    Perform'd, my Ariel; a grace it had, devouring:

    Of my instruction hast thou nothing bated

    In what thou hadst to say: so, with good life

    And observation strange, my meaner ministers

    Their several kinds have done. My high charms work

    And these mine enemies are all knit up

    In their distractions; they now are in my power;

    And in these fits I leave them, while I visit

    Young Ferdinand, whom they suppose is drown'd,

    And his and mine loved darling.

    Exit above

GONZALO

    I' the name of something holy, sir, why stand you

    In this strange stare?

ALONSO

    O, it is monstrous, monstrous:

    Methought the billows spoke and told me of it;

    The winds did sing it to me, and the thunder,

    That deep and dreadful organ-pipe, pronounced

    The name of Prosper: it did bass my trespass.

    Therefore my son i' the ooze is bedded, and

    I'll seek him deeper than e'er plummet sounded

    And with him there lie mudded.

    Exit

SEBASTIAN

    But one fiend at a time,

    I'll fight their legions o'er.

ANTONIO

    I'll be thy second.

    Exeunt SEBASTIAN, and ANTONIO

GONZALO

    All three of them are desperate: their great guilt,

    Like poison given to work a great time after,

    Now 'gins to bite the spirits. I do beseech you

    That are of suppler joints, follow them swiftly

    And hinder them from what this ecstasy

    May now provoke them to.

ADRIAN

    Follow, I pray you.

    Exeunt

ACT IV

SCENE I. Before PROSPERO'S cell.

    Enter PROSPERO, FERDINAND, and MIRANDA

PROSPERO

    If I have too austerely punish'd you,

    Your compensation makes amends, for I

    Have given you here a third of mine own life,

    Or that for which I live; who once again

    I tender to thy hand: all thy vexations

    Were but my trials of thy love and thou

    Hast strangely stood the test here, afore Heaven,

    I ratify this my rich gift. O Ferdinand,

    Do not smile at me that I boast her off,

    For thou shalt find she will outstrip all praise

    And make it halt behind her.

FERDINAND

    I do believe it

    Against an oracle.

PROSPERO

    Then, as my gift and thine own acquisition

    Worthily purchased take my daughter: but

    If thou dost break her virgin-knot before

    All sanctimonious ceremonies may

    With full and holy rite be minister'd,

    No sweet aspersion shall the heavens let fall

    To make this contract grow: but barren hate,

    Sour-eyed disdain and discord shall bestrew

    The union of your bed with weeds so loathly

    That you shall hate it both: therefore take heed,

    As Hymen's lamps shall light you.

FERDINAND

    As I hope

    For quiet days, fair issue and long life,

    With such love as 'tis now, the murkiest den,

    The most opportune place, the strong'st suggestion.

    Our worser genius can, shall never melt

    Mine honour into lust, to take away

    The edge of that day's celebration

    When I shall think: or Phoebus' steeds are founder'd,

    Or Night kept chain'd below.

PROSPERO

    Fairly spoke.

    Sit then and talk with her; she is thine own.

    What, Ariel! my industrious servant, Ariel!

    Enter ARIEL

ARIEL

    What would my potent master? here I am.

PROSPERO

    Thou and thy meaner fellows your last service

    Did worthily perform; and I must use you

    In such another trick. Go bring the rabble,

    O'er whom I give thee power, here to this place:

    Incite them to quick motion; for I must

    Bestow upon the eyes of this young couple

    Some vanity of mine art: it is my promise,

    And they expect it from me.

ARIEL

    Presently?

PROSPERO

    Ay, with a twink.

ARIEL

    Before you can say 'come' and 'go,'

    And breathe twice and cry 'so, so,'

    Each one, tripping on his toe,

    Will be here with mop and mow.

    Do you love me, master? no?

PROSPERO

    Dearly my delicate Ariel. Do not approach

    Till thou dost hear me call.

ARIEL

    Well, I conceive.

    Exit

PROSPERO

    Look thou be true; do not give dalliance

    Too much the rein: the strongest oaths are straw

    To the fire i' the blood: be more abstemious,

    Or else, good night your vow!

FERDINAND

    I warrant you sir;

    The white cold virgin snow upon my heart

    Abates the ardour of my liver.

PROSPERO

    Well.

    Now come, my Ariel! bring a corollary,

    Rather than want a spirit: appear and pertly!

    No tongue! all eyes! be silent.

    Soft music

    Enter IRIS

IRIS

    Ceres, most bounteous lady, thy rich leas

    Of wheat, rye, barley, vetches, oats and pease;

    Thy turfy mountains, where live nibbling sheep,

    And flat meads thatch'd with stover, them to keep;

    Thy banks with pioned and twilled brims,

    Which spongy April at thy hest betrims,

    To make cold nymphs chaste crowns; and thy broom -groves,

    Whose shadow the dismissed bachelor loves,

    Being lass-lorn: thy pole-clipt vineyard;

    And thy sea-marge, sterile and rocky-hard,

    Where thou thyself dost air;--the queen o' the sky,

    Whose watery arch and messenger am I,

    Bids thee leave these, and with her sovereign grace,

    Here on this grass-plot, in this very place,

    To come and sport: her peacocks fly amain:

    Approach, rich Ceres, her to entertain.

    Enter CERES

CERES

    Hail, many-colour'd messenger, that ne'er

    Dost disobey the wife of Jupiter;

    Who with thy saffron wings upon my flowers

    Diffusest honey-drops, refreshing showers,

    And with each end of thy blue bow dost crown

    My bosky acres and my unshrubb'd down,

    Rich scarf to my proud earth; why hath thy queen

    Summon'd me hither, to this short-grass'd green?

IRIS

    A contract of true love to celebrate;

    And some donation freely to estate

    On the blest lovers.

CERES

    Tell me, heavenly bow,

    If Venus or her son, as thou dost know,

    Do now attend the queen? Since they did plot

    The means that dusky Dis my daughter got,

    Her and her blind boy's scandal'd company

    I have forsworn.

IRIS

    Of her society

    Be not afraid: I met her deity

    Cutting the clouds towards Paphos and her son

    Dove-drawn with her. Here thought they to have done

    Some wanton charm upon this man and maid,

    Whose vows are, that no bed-right shall be paid

    Till Hymen's torch be lighted: but vain;

    Mars's hot minion is returned again;

    Her waspish-headed son has broke his arrows,

    Swears he will shoot no more but play with sparrows

    And be a boy right out.

CERES

    High'st queen of state,

    Great Juno, comes; I know her by her gait.

    Enter JUNO

JUNO

    How does my bounteous sister? Go with me

    To bless this twain, that they may prosperous be

    And honour'd in their issue.

    They sing:

JUNO

    Honour, riches, marriage-blessing,

    Long continuance, and increasing,

    Hourly joys be still upon you!

    Juno sings her blessings upon you.

CERES

    Earth's increase, foison plenty,

    Barns and garners never empty,

    Vines and clustering bunches growing,

    Plants with goodly burthen bowing;

    Spring come to you at the farthest

    In the very end of harvest!

    Scarcity and want shall shun you;

    Ceres' blessing so is on you.

FERDINAND

    This is a most majestic vision, and

    Harmoniously charmingly. May I be bold

    To think these spirits?

PROSPERO

    Spirits, which by mine art

    I have from their confines call'd to enact

    My present fancies.

FERDINAND

    Let me live here ever;

    So rare a wonder'd father and a wife

    Makes this place Paradise.

    Juno and Ceres whisper, and send Iris on employment

PROSPERO

    Sweet, now, silence!

    Juno and Ceres whisper seriously;

    There's something else to do: hush, and be mute,

    Or else our spell is marr'd.

IRIS

    You nymphs, call'd Naiads, of the windring brooks,

    With your sedged crowns and ever-harmless looks,

    Leave your crisp channels and on this green land

    Answer your summons; Juno does command:

    Come, temperate nymphs, and help to celebrate

    A contract of true love; be not too late.

    Enter certain Nymphs

    You sunburnt sicklemen, of August weary,

    Come hither from the furrow and be merry:

    Make holiday; your rye-straw hats put on

    And these fresh nymphs encounter every one

    In country footing.

    Enter certain Reapers, properly habited: they join with the Nymphs in a graceful dance; towards the end whereof PROSPERO starts suddenly, and speaks; after which, to a strange, hollow, and confused noise, they heavily vanish

PROSPERO

    [Aside] I had forgot that foul conspiracy

    Of the beast Caliban and his confederates

    Against my life: the minute of their plot

    Is almost come.

    To the Spirits

    Well done! avoid; no more!

FERDINAND

    This is strange: your father's in some passion

    That works him strongly.

MIRANDA

    Never till this day

    Saw I him touch'd with anger so distemper'd.

PROSPERO

    You do look, my son, in a moved sort,

    As if you were dismay'd: be cheerful, sir.

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors,

    As I foretold you, were all spirits and

    Are melted into air, into thin air:

    And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,

    The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,

    The solemn temples, the great globe itself,

    Ye all which it inherit, shall dissolve

    And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,

    Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff

    As dreams are made on, and our little life

    Is rounded with a sleep. Sir, I am vex'd;

    Bear with my weakness; my, brain is troubled:

    Be not disturb'd with my infirmity:

    If you be pleased, retire into my cell

    And there repose: a turn or two I'll walk,

    To still my beating mind.

FERDINAND MIRANDA

    We wish your peace.

    Exeunt

PROSPERO

    Come with a thought I thank thee, Ariel: come.

    Enter ARIEL

ARIEL

    Thy thoughts I cleave to. What's thy pleasure?

PROSPERO

    Spirit,

    We must prepare to meet with Caliban.

ARIEL

    Ay, my commander: when I presented Ceres,

    I thought to have told thee of it, but I fear'd

    Lest I might anger thee.

PROSPERO

    Say again, where didst thou leave these varlets?

ARIEL

    I told you, sir, they were red-hot with drinking;

    So fun of valour that they smote the air

    For breathing in their faces; beat the ground

    For kissing of their feet; yet always bending

    Towards their project. Then I beat my tabour;

    At which, like unback'd colts, they prick'd

    their ears,

    Advanced their eyelids, lifted up their noses

    As they smelt music: so I charm'd their ears

    That calf-like they my lowing follow'd through

    Tooth'd briers, sharp furzes, pricking goss and thorns,

    Which entered their frail shins: at last I left them

    I' the filthy-mantled pool beyond your cell,

    There dancing up to the chins, that the foul lake

    O'erstunk their feet.

PROSPERO

    This was well done, my bird.

    Thy shape invisible retain thou still:

    The trumpery in my house, go bring it hither,

    For stale to catch these thieves.

ARIEL

    I go, I go.

    Exit

PROSPERO

    A devil, a born devil, on whose nature

    Nurture can never stick; on whom my pains,

    Humanely taken, all, all lost, quite lost;

    And as with age his body uglier grows,

    So his mind cankers. I will plague them all,

    Even to roaring.

    Re-enter ARIEL, loaden with glistering apparel, & c

    Come, hang them on this line.

    PROSPERO and ARIEL remain invisible. Enter CALIBAN, STEPHANO, and TRINCULO, all wet

CALIBAN

    Pray you, tread softly, that the blind mole may not

    Hear a foot fall: we now are near his cell.

STEPHANO

    Monster, your fairy, which you say is

    a harmless fairy, has done little better than

    played the Jack with us.

TRINCULO

    Monster, I do smell all horse-piss; at

    which my nose is in great indignation.

STEPHANO

    So is mine. Do you hear, monster? If I should take

    a displeasure against you, look you,--

TRINCULO

    Thou wert but a lost monster.

CALIBAN

    Good my lord, give me thy favour still.

    Be patient, for the prize I'll bring thee to

    Shall hoodwink this mischance: therefore speak softly.

    All's hush'd as midnight yet.

TRINCULO

    Ay, but to lose our bottles in the pool,--

STEPHANO

    There is not only disgrace and dishonour in that,

    monster, but an infinite loss.

TRINCULO

    That's more to me than my wetting: yet this is your

    harmless fairy, monster.

STEPHANO

    I will fetch off my bottle, though I be o'er ears

    for my labour.

CALIBAN

    Prithee, my king, be quiet. Seest thou here,

    This is the mouth o' the cell: no noise, and enter.

    Do that good mischief which may make this island

    Thine own for ever, and I, thy Caliban,

    For aye thy foot-licker.

STEPHANO

    Give me thy hand. I do begin to have bloody thoughts.

TRINCULO

    O king Stephano! O peer! O worthy Stephano! look

    what a wardrobe here is for thee!

CALIBAN

    Let it alone, thou fool; it is but trash.

TRINCULO

    O, ho, monster! we know what belongs to a frippery.

    O king Stephano!

STEPHANO

    Put off that gown, Trinculo; by this hand, I'll have

    that gown.

TRINCULO

    Thy grace shall have it.

CALIBAN

    The dropsy drown this fool I what do you mean

    To dote thus on such luggage? Let's alone

    And do the murder first: if he awake,

    From toe to crown he'll fill our skins with pinches,

    Make us strange stuff.

STEPHANO

    Be you quiet, monster. Mistress line,

    is not this my jerkin? Now is the jerkin under

    the line: now, jerkin, you are like to lose your

    hair and prove a bald jerkin.

TRINCULO

    Do, do: we steal by line and level, an't like your grace.

STEPHANO

    I thank thee for that jest; here's a garment for't:

    wit shall not go unrewarded while I am king of this

    country. 'Steal by line and level' is an excellent

    pass of pate; there's another garment for't.

TRINCULO

    Monster, come, put some lime upon your fingers, and

    away with the rest.

CALIBAN

    I will have none on't: we shall lose our time,

    And all be turn'd to barnacles, or to apes

    With foreheads villanous low.

STEPHANO

    Monster, lay-to your fingers: help to bear this

    away where my hogshead of wine is, or I'll turn you

    out of my kingdom: go to, carry this.

TRINCULO

    And this.

STEPHANO

    Ay, and this.

    A noise of hunters heard. Enter divers Spirits, in shape of dogs and hounds, and hunt them about, PROSPERO and ARIEL setting them on

PROSPERO

    Hey, Mountain, hey!

ARIEL

    Silver I there it goes, Silver!

PROSPERO

    Fury, Fury! there, Tyrant, there! hark! hark!

    CALIBAN, STEPHANO, and TRINCULO, are driven out

    Go charge my goblins that they grind their joints

    With dry convulsions, shorten up their sinews

    With aged cramps, and more pinch-spotted make them

    Than pard or cat o' mountain.

ARIEL

    Hark, they roar!

PROSPERO

    Let them be hunted soundly. At this hour

    Lie at my mercy all mine enemies:

    Shortly shall all my labours end, and thou

    Shalt have the air at freedom: for a little

    Follow, and do me service.

    Exeunt

ACT V

SCENE I. Before PROSPERO'S cell.

    Enter PROSPERO in his magic robes, and ARIEL

PROSPERO

    Now does my project gather to a head:

    My charms crack not; my spirits obey; and time

    Goes upright with his carriage. How's the day?

ARIEL

    On the sixth hour; at which time, my lord,

    You said our work should cease.

PROSPERO

    I did say so,

    When first I raised the tempest. Say, my spirit,

    How fares the king and's followers?

ARIEL

    Confined together

    In the same fashion as you gave in charge,

    Just as you left them; all prisoners, sir,

    In the line-grove which weather-fends your cell;

    They cannot budge till your release. The king,

    His brother and yours, abide all three distracted

    And the remainder mourning over them,

    Brimful of sorrow and dismay; but chiefly

    Him that you term'd, sir, 'The good old lord Gonzalo;'

    His tears run down his beard, like winter's drops

    From eaves of reeds. Your charm so strongly works 'em

    That if you now beheld them, your affections

    Would become tender.

PROSPERO

    Dost thou think so, spirit?

ARIEL

    Mine would, sir, were I human.

PROSPERO

    And mine shall.

    Hast thou, which art but air, a touch, a feeling

    Of their afflictions, and shall not myself,

    One of their kind, that relish all as sharply,

    Passion as they, be kindlier moved than thou art?

    Though with their high wrongs I am struck to the quick,

    Yet with my nobler reason 'gaitist my fury

    Do I take part: the rarer action is

    In virtue than in vengeance: they being penitent,

    The sole drift of my purpose doth extend

    Not a frown further. Go release them, Ariel:

    My charms I'll break, their senses I'll restore,

    And they shall be themselves.

ARIEL

    I'll fetch them, sir.

    Exit

PROSPERO

    Ye elves of hills, brooks, standing lakes and groves,

    And ye that on the sands with printless foot

    Do chase the ebbing Neptune and do fly him

    When he comes back; you demi-puppets that

    By moonshine do the green sour ringlets make,

    Whereof the ewe not bites, and you whose pastime

    Is to make midnight mushrooms, that rejoice

    To hear the solemn curfew; by whose aid,

    Weak masters though ye be, I have bedimm'd

    The noontide sun, call'd forth the mutinous winds,

    And 'twixt the green sea and the azured vault

    Set roaring war: to the dread rattling thunder

    Have I given fire and rifted Jove's stout oak

    With his own bolt; the strong-based promontory

    Have I made shake and by the spurs pluck'd up

    The pine and cedar: graves at my command

    Have waked their sleepers, oped, and let 'em forth

    By my so potent art. But this rough magic

    I here abjure, and, when I have required

    Some heavenly music, which even now I do,

    To work mine end upon their senses that

    This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff,

    Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,

    And deeper than did ever plummet sound

    I'll drown my book.

    Solemn music

    Re-enter ARIEL before: then ALONSO, with a frantic gesture, attended by GONZALO; SEBASTIAN and ANTONIO in like manner, attended by ADRIAN and FRANCISCO they all enter the circle which PROSPERO had made, and there stand charmed; which PROSPERO observing, speaks:

    A solemn air and the best comforter

    To an unsettled fancy cure thy brains,

    Now useless, boil'd within thy skull! There stand,

    For you are spell-stopp'd.

    Holy Gonzalo, honourable man,

    Mine eyes, even sociable to the show of thine,

    Fall fellowly drops. The charm dissolves apace,

    And as the morning steals upon the night,

    Melting the darkness, so their rising senses

    Begin to chase the ignorant fumes that mantle

    Their clearer reason. O good Gonzalo,

    My true preserver, and a loyal sir

    To him you follow'st! I will pay thy graces

    Home both in word and deed. Most cruelly

    Didst thou, Alonso, use me and my daughter:

    Thy brother was a furtherer in the act.

    Thou art pinch'd fort now, Sebastian. Flesh and blood,

    You, brother mine, that entertain'd ambition,

    Expell'd remorse and nature; who, with Sebastian,

    Whose inward pinches therefore are most strong,

    Would here have kill'd your king; I do forgive thee,

    Unnatural though thou art. Their understanding

    Begins to swell, and the approaching tide

    Will shortly fill the reasonable shore

    That now lies foul and muddy. Not one of them

    That yet looks on me, or would know me Ariel,

    Fetch me the hat and rapier in my cell:

    I will discase me, and myself present

    As I was sometime Milan: quickly, spirit;

    Thou shalt ere long be free.

    ARIEL sings and helps to attire him

    Where the bee sucks. there suck I:

    In a cowslip's bell I lie;

    There I couch when owls do cry.

    On the bat's back I do fly

    After summer merrily.

    Merrily, merrily shall I live now

    Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.

PROSPERO

    Why, that's my dainty Ariel! I shall miss thee:

    But yet thou shalt have freedom: so, so, so.

    To the king's ship, invisible as thou art:

    There shalt thou find the mariners asleep

    Under the hatches; the master and the boatswain

    Being awake, enforce them to this place,

    And presently, I prithee.

ARIEL

    I drink the air before me, and return

    Or ere your pulse twice beat.

    Exit

GONZALO

    All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement

    Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us

    Out of this fearful country!

PROSPERO

    Behold, sir king,

    The wronged Duke of Milan, Prospero:

    For more assurance that a living prince

    Does now speak to thee, I embrace thy body;

    And to thee and thy company I bid

    A hearty welcome.

ALONSO

    Whether thou best he or no,

    Or some enchanted trifle to abuse me,

    As late I have been, I not know: thy pulse

    Beats as of flesh and blood; and, since I saw thee,

    The affliction of my mind amends, with which,

    I fear, a madness held me: this must crave,

    An if this be at all, a most strange story.

    Thy dukedom I resign and do entreat

    Thou pardon me my wrongs. But how should Prospero

    Be living and be here?

PROSPERO

    First, noble friend,

    Let me embrace thine age, whose honour cannot

    Be measured or confined.

GONZALO

    Whether this be

    Or be not, I'll not swear.

PROSPERO

    You do yet taste

    Some subtilties o' the isle, that will not let you

    Believe things certain. Welcome, my friends all!

    Aside to SEBASTIAN and ANTONIO

    But you, my brace of lords, were I so minded,

    I here could pluck his highness' frown upon you

    And justify you traitors: at this time

    I will tell no tales.

SEBASTIAN

    [Aside] The devil speaks in him.

PROSPERO

    No.

    For you, most wicked sir, whom to call brother

    Would even infect my mouth, I do forgive

    Thy rankest fault; all of them; and require

    My dukedom of thee, which perforce, I know,

    Thou must restore.

ALONSO

    If thou be'st Prospero,

    Give us particulars of thy preservation;

    How thou hast met us here, who three hours since

    Were wreck'd upon this shore; where I have lost--

    How sharp the point of this remembrance is!--

    My dear son Ferdinand.

PROSPERO

    I am woe for't, sir.

ALONSO

    Irreparable is the loss, and patience

    Says it is past her cure.

PROSPERO

    I rather think

    You have not sought her help, of whose soft grace

    For the like loss I have her sovereign aid

    And rest myself content.

ALONSO

    You the like loss!

PROSPERO

    As great to me as late; and, supportable

    To make the dear loss, have I means much weaker

    Than you may call to comfort you, for I

    Have lost my daughter.

ALONSO

    A daughter?

    O heavens, that they were living both in Naples,

    The king and queen there! that they were, I wish

    Myself were mudded in that oozy bed

    Where my son lies. When did you lose your daughter?

PROSPERO

    In this last tempest. I perceive these lords

    At this encounter do so much admire

    That they devour their reason and scarce think

    Their eyes do offices of truth, their words

    Are natural breath: but, howsoe'er you have

    Been justled from your senses, know for certain

    That I am Prospero and that very duke

    Which was thrust forth of Milan, who most strangely

    Upon this shore, where you were wreck'd, was landed,

    To be the lord on't. No more yet of this;

    For 'tis a chronicle of day by day,

    Not a relation for a breakfast nor

    Befitting this first meeting. Welcome, sir;

    This cell's my court: here have I few attendants

    And subjects none abroad: pray you, look in.

    My dukedom since you have given me again,

    I will requite you with as good a thing;

    At least bring forth a wonder, to content ye

    As much as me my dukedom.

    Here PROSPERO discovers FERDINAND and MIRANDA playing at chess

MIRANDA

    Sweet lord, you play me false.

FERDINAND

    No, my dear'st love,

    I would not for the world.

MIRANDA

    Yes, for a score of kingdoms you should wrangle,

    And I would call it, fair play.

ALONSO

    If this prove

    A vision of the Island, one dear son

    Shall I twice lose.

SEBASTIAN

    A most high miracle!

FERDINAND

    Though the seas threaten, they are merciful;

    I have cursed them without cause.

    Kneels

ALONSO

    Now all the blessings

    Of a glad father compass thee about!

    Arise, and say how thou camest here.

MIRANDA

    O, wonder!

    How many goodly creatures are there here!

    How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,

    That has such people in't!

PROSPERO

    'Tis new to thee.

ALONSO

    What is this maid with whom thou wast at play?

    Your eld'st acquaintance cannot be three hours:

    Is she the goddess that hath sever'd us,

    And brought us thus together?

FERDINAND

    Sir, she is mortal;

    But by immortal Providence she's mine:

    I chose her when I could not ask my father

    For his advice, nor thought I had one. She

    Is daughter to this famous Duke of Milan,

    Of whom so often I have heard renown,

    But never saw before; of whom I have

    Received a second life; and second father

    This lady makes him to me.

ALONSO

    I am hers:

    But, O, how oddly will it sound that I

    Must ask my child forgiveness!

PROSPERO

    There, sir, stop:

    Let us not burthen our remembrance with

    A heaviness that's gone.

GONZALO

    I have inly wept,

    Or should have spoke ere this. Look down, you god,

    And on this couple drop a blessed crown!

    For it is you that have chalk'd forth the way

    Which brought us hither.

ALONSO

    I say, Amen, Gonzalo!

GONZALO

    Was Milan thrust from Milan, that his issue

    Should become kings of Naples? O, rejoice

    Beyond a common joy, and set it down

    With gold on lasting pillars: In one voyage

    Did Claribel her husband find at Tunis,

    And Ferdinand, her brother, found a wife

    Where he himself was lost, Prospero his dukedom

    In a poor isle and all of us ourselves

    When no man was his own.

ALONSO

    [To FERDINAND and MIRANDA] Give me your hands:

    Let grief and sorrow still embrace his heart

    That doth not wish you joy!

GONZALO

    Be it so! Amen!

    Re-enter ARIEL, with the Master and Boatswain amazedly following

    O, look, sir, look, sir! here is more of us:

    I prophesied, if a gallows were on land,

    This fellow could not drown. Now, blasphemy,

    That swear'st grace o'erboard, not an oath on shore?

    Hast thou no mouth by land? What is the news?

Boatswain

    The best news is, that we have safely found

    Our king and company; the next, our ship--

    Which, but three glasses since, we gave out split--

    Is tight and yare and bravely rigg'd as when

    We first put out to sea.

ARIEL

    [Aside to PROSPERO] Sir, all this service

    Have I done since I went.

PROSPERO

    [Aside to ARIEL] My tricksy spirit!

ALONSO

    These are not natural events; they strengthen

    From strange to stranger. Say, how came you hither?

Boatswain

    If I did think, sir, I were well awake,

    I'ld strive to tell you. We were dead of sleep,

    And--how we know not--all clapp'd under hatches;

    Where but even now with strange and several noises

    Of roaring, shrieking, howling, jingling chains,

    And more diversity of sounds, all horrible,

    We were awaked; straightway, at liberty;

    Where we, in all her trim, freshly beheld

    Our royal, good and gallant ship, our master

    Capering to eye her: on a trice, so please you,

    Even in a dream, were we divided from them

    And were brought moping hither.

ARIEL

    [Aside to PROSPERO] Was't well done?

PROSPERO

    [Aside to ARIEL] Bravely, my diligence. Thou shalt be free.

ALONSO

    This is as strange a maze as e'er men trod

    And there is in this business more than nature

    Was ever conduct of: some oracle

    Must rectify our knowledge.

PROSPERO

    Sir, my liege,

    Do not infest your mind with beating on

    The strangeness of this business; at pick'd leisure

    Which shall be shortly, single I'll resolve you,

    Which to you shall seem probable, of every

    These happen'd accidents; till when, be cheerful

    And think of each thing well.

    Aside to ARIEL

    Come hither, spirit:

    Set Caliban and his companions free;

    Untie the spell.

    Exit ARIEL

    How fares my gracious sir?

    There are yet missing of your company

    Some few odd lads that you remember not.

    Re-enter ARIEL, driving in CALIBAN, STEPHANO and TRINCULO, in their stolen apparel

STEPHANO

    Every man shift for all the rest, and

    let no man take care for himself; for all is

    but fortune. Coragio, bully-monster, coragio!

TRINCULO

    If these be true spies which I wear in my head,

    here's a goodly sight.

CALIBAN

    O Setebos, these be brave spirits indeed!

    How fine my master is! I am afraid

    He will chastise me.

SEBASTIAN

    Ha, ha!

    What things are these, my lord Antonio?

    Will money buy 'em?

ANTONIO

    Very like; one of them

    Is a plain fish, and, no doubt, marketable.

PROSPERO

    Mark but the badges of these men, my lords,

    Then say if they be true. This mis-shapen knave,

    His mother was a witch, and one so strong

    That could control the moon, make flows and ebbs,

    And deal in her command without her power.

    These three have robb'd me; and this demi-devil--

    For he's a bastard one--had plotted with them

    To take my life. Two of these fellows you

    Must know and own; this thing of darkness!

    Acknowledge mine.

CALIBAN

    I shall be pinch'd to death.

ALONSO

    Is not this Stephano, my drunken butler?

SEBASTIAN

    He is drunk now: where had he wine?

ALONSO

    And Trinculo is reeling ripe: where should they

    Find this grand liquor that hath gilded 'em?

    How camest thou in this pickle?

TRINCULO

    I have been in such a pickle since I

    saw you last that, I fear me, will never out of

    my bones: I shall not fear fly-blowing.

SEBASTIAN

    Why, how now, Stephano!

STEPHANO

    O, touch me not; I am not Stephano, but a cramp.

PROSPERO

    You'ld be king o' the isle, sirrah?

STEPHANO

    I should have been a sore one then.

ALONSO

    This is a strange thing as e'er I look'd on.

    Pointing to Caliban

PROSPERO

    He is as disproportion'd in his manners

    As in his shape. Go, sirrah, to my cell;

    Take with you your companions; as you look

    To have my pardon, trim it handsomely.

CALIBAN

    Ay, that I will; and I'll be wise hereafter

    And seek for grace. What a thrice-double ass

    Was I, to take this drunkard for a god

    And worship this dull fool!

PROSPERO

    Go to; away!

ALONSO

    Hence, and bestow your luggage where you found it.

SEBASTIAN

    Or stole it, rather.

    Exeunt CALIBAN, STEPHANO, and TRINCULO

PROSPERO

    Sir, I invite your highness and your train

    To my poor cell, where you shall take your rest

    For this one night; which, part of it, I'll waste

    With such discourse as, I not doubt, shall make it

    Go quick away; the story of my life

    And the particular accidents gone by

    Since I came to this isle: and in the morn

    I'll bring you to your ship and so to Naples,

    Where I have hope to see the nuptial

    Of these our dear-beloved solemnized;

    And thence retire me to my Milan, where

    Every third thought shall be my grave.

ALONSO

    I long

    To hear the story of your life, which must

    Take the ear strangely.

PROSPERO

    I'll deliver all;

    And promise you calm seas, auspicious gales

    And sail so expeditious that shall catch

    Your royal fleet far off.

    Aside to ARIEL

    My Ariel, chick,

    That is thy charge: then to the elements

    Be free, and fare thou well! Please you, draw near.

    Exeunt

    EPILOGUE

    SPOKEN BY PROSPERO

    Now my charms are all o'erthrown,